K-Pad is a multi-featured notepad / organizer for Windows: print-out pages or booklets of photos, tables, and rich text.More...
This is my support blog, featuring help, tutorials, and comment. Welcome. :-)

Tuesday 26 August 2008

Software Submission

Within the past couple of days I've uploaded K-Pad v1.1.1 to two of the biggest software download sites: download.com and tucows.com.

These sites are choca with ads, and I'm forced to tag K-Pad as a "word-processing package" (which it is and it isn't) but how else do I get the word out about K-Pad? In any event, I was most amused with their payment packages. For anything up to $2,000, plus a monthly/yearly fee, I can have these fine distributors "review" my software and place it "more prominently" on their site, and have it processed more quickly so that it appears earlier.

Would you trust a review site that has to be paid for its reviews?

With me that's a non-starter anyway, as I am only slightly richer than a rag-and-bone man who's just been mugged. So I am left with their free packages. K-Pad v1.1.1 will appear - no doubt buried under many ads - "within 15 days" on download.com, and in around 550 days on tucows! You read that right: 550 days. By that time, K-Pad may be up to version 10.1.1!

Even before that 15 day mark, v1.1.2 will be out. I'd thought that v1.1.1 was pretty darned bug-free. Yet, yesterday, I found a rather serious bug in the font sizing code. It's one of those silly things: apparently I'd only ever tested using different fonts with different sizes, not the global font with different sizes. Humbug!


Update: 27/8/2k8

Well, v1.1.2 finished. I edited my submissions. Still 9500-odd places behind in the tucows queue. download.com now says my listing will appear on 11th September (from 5th September for v.1.1.1). If I have any more updates before then, I don't think I'll edit the link again until the first listing appears!

No comments: