K-Pad is a multi-featured notepad / organizer for Windows: print-out pages or booklets of photos, tables, and rich text.More...
This is my support blog, featuring help, tutorials, and comment. Welcome. :-)

Monday 20 October 2008

K-Pad v1.1.7 Notes

This latest version adds a lot of small-yet-significant features and fixes; it's something of a tidy-up release.


Options

The big "Add" is support for changing paper type (A4, US Legal, US Letter) and document type for a file being edited. This has been a long time coming, and - as usual - the change was borne out of necessity. I'd had a file as a booklet that I needed to convert to a full-side-of-A4. In addition, I'd finally converted changelog.txt to a .kpd file, and realized I'd need two versions of it if, for example, someone with only US letter paper wanted to print it out.

I'd resisted this feature because I'd have had to code the change to the thumbnail sizes, requiring all thumbnails to be regenerated, and it was a bit of a logistical mess, requiring no small amount of clarity of thought. Thankfully, my head was screwed on correctly this morning, and it only took me two hours. :-)


Palette

I've added a new button to hide/display the palette. This tidies it away when it's not being used. I've also been testing coloured text in the Lined module (maybe for the next version).


Dictionary

More words added (see earlier blog entry), and a couple of changes:
  1. Words entirely in upper-case are now ignored (always);
  2. A joining like "red/blue" now counts as two words, not one. Which means that the spell-checker won't flag it for being an unknown word. The original word-parser had not been designed for such syntax, but I've finally fixed it now!

Crash


I discovered a rare way to crash the application in the Lined module; it was thread-related, and should only apply to slower PCs and repeated use of paste at a virtual-cursor point. I've added a safeguard, which will cancel the entire paste should those special circumstances reoccur.


Interface

I fixed a small glitch in the tree, whereby the x-offset of the EasyText was being carried over across two nodes.


List

The aforementioned serious-bug in the save/load code (large numbers, and the to-do) has been fixed.

I made a lot of minor fixes to text-navigation around a list/table. Silly things, like the caret getting stuck, should not reoccur.

Rounding errors were to blame for small-point-sized fonts not word-wrapping correctly. This was due to calculating the text size in the (large) printer font, and drawing using the (small) display font. Windows returns font sizes in rounded-integers, so font sizes cannot be matched so easily.

No comments: