K-Pad is a multi-featured notepad / organizer for Windows: print-out pages or booklets of photos, tables, and rich text.More...
This is my support blog, featuring help, tutorials, and comment. Welcome. :-)

Friday 15 May 2009

Going Dark, and Other Ramblings

So, what happened to my blog since November? Well, my computer exploded. Metaphorically. The motherboard died, the new one didn't have the same sort of RAID, I had data stuck on my HDD I couldn't access... And then my new, speedier, PC ran into problems.

Seems K-Pad had a load of bugs related to PCs with multiprocessors. My old PC's CPU had one core, so I couldn't test dual and above, nor could I test with a CPU that was a lot faster. Now, I can.

Anyway, while K-Pad is a high priority for me personally, it has been d/loaded by others who either thought it was of no value to them, or they ran into bugs and didn't report them, or I don't know what. The bottom line is that the K-Pad Project is "going dark" and new versions won't be publicly released - with the exception of a big bug-busting release which will hopefully put pay to multiprocessor issues. This is less an act of petulance on my part, more me recognizing that I'll save myself a lot of time and effort without the hullabaloo of releasing versions to the 'Net.

I don't have the luxury of devoting most of my time to a project that can't generate me any income, and while I recognize that I'd probably get money if I adwared or trialwared it, I still want to keep *one* of my software projects free for those who can't afford it. Maybe producing "booklets" is too niche. Whatever.

Peace and love. :-)

No comments: